Airbnb’s latest data indicates a surge in international interest in Thailand for Loy Krathong and year-end holidays, with notable growth in bookings and searches.
BANGKOK, THAILAND – Latest data from Airbnb reveals that Thailand’s tourism recovery is gathering pace as interest to travel during Loy Krathong and the end-of-year holidays is up. Searches for Airbnb stays in Thailand amongst international guests during Loy Krathong have risen by 17%1.
Based on Airbnb booking data, Bangkok is the #1 most visited destination in Thailand2 this Loy Krathong followed by Chiang Mai, with Thai beach destinations also popular amongst international guests. The most booked destinations in Thailand during Loy Krathong 2023 are 3:
- Chiang Mai
- Koh Samui
- Hua Hin
- Koh Pha-ngan
Loy Krathong traditionally kickstarts Thailand’s end-of-year peak travel season, and Airbnb data shows a significant travel surge – Airbnb has seen an approximately 88% spike in searches by Chinese travellers for November to December.4 In fact, Thailand is the #1 most searched destination for China guests on Airbnb ahead of the upcoming winter holidays, and Phuket and Bangkok are the two top most searched cities by China guests.5
Australians are also looking to escape the winter, and Thailand is on their radar as searches amongst Airbnb guests in Australia for travel to Thailand in the last two months of 2023 increased by almost 16%.6
“Thailand’s international appeal remains strong with travellers from all around the world keen to experience the country’s world-famous hospitality, cuisine and cultural highlights,” said Amanpreet Bajaj, Airbnb’s General Manager for Southeast Asia, India, Hong Kong and Taiwan. “Airbnb has seen a more than 30 percent growth in nights booked in Thailand this year over last and seeing the volume of Airbnb guest searches for stays in Thailand during the end of 2023 holiday period, Thailand looks set for a bumper festive season.”
1) Based on internal Airbnb data on inbound guest searches for stays in Thailand for check-in in October 2023 vs check-in in November 2023.
2) Based on internal Airbnb data on all guest searches for stays in Thailand for check-in October 2023 vs check-in November 2023.
3) Based on internal Airbnb data on top destinations in Thailand booked this Loy Krathong (check-in between 24-30 Nov 2023).
4) Based on internal Airbnb data on inbound China guest searches for stays in Thailand in October 2023 vs check-in in November 2023.
5) Based on internal Airbnb data on inbound China guest searches for stays in Thailand for check-in from December 22 2023 to February 29, 2024.
6) Based on internal Airbnb data on inbound Australia guest searches for stays in Thailand in October 2023 vs check-in in November 2023.
Theodore is the Co-Founder and Managing Editor of TravelDailyNews Media Network; his responsibilities include business development and planning for TravelDailyNews long-term opportunities.