Among countries in the APAC region, China has the most rooms in construction (295,989), followed by Vietnam (29,178).
London—Two of the four world regions, Europe and Asia Pacific, showed an increase in hotel pipeline activity at the end of the third quarter, according to September 2021 data from STR.
September 2021 (% changes in comparison with September 2020)
- In Construction: 230,265 rooms (+6.6%)
- Final Planning: 171,988 rooms (+5.9%)
- Planning: 148,565 rooms (-4.8%)
- Total Under Contract: 550,818 (+3.1%)
Germany (46,494) and the U.K. (35,196) lead Europe in total rooms in construction.
- In Construction: 478,193 rooms (0.0%)
- Final Planning: 178,195 rooms (+5.3%)
- Planning: 288,227 rooms (+16.0%)
- Total Under Contract: 944,615 rooms (+5.4%)
Among countries in the region, China has the most rooms in construction (295,989), followed by Vietnam (29,178).
Middle East & Africa
- In Construction: 135,217 rooms (-7.6%)
- Final Planning: 40,539 rooms (-16.6%)
- Planning: 62,679 rooms (-0.6%)
- Total Under Contract: 238,435 (-7.8%)
Saudi Arabia (42,008) and United Arab Emirates (34,935) lead in construction activity.
- In Construction: 228,662 rooms (-16.6%)
- Final Planning: 247,381 rooms (-15.9%)
- Planning: 301,333 rooms (+36.1%)
- Total Under Contract: 777,376 (-1.6%)
The U.S. holds the majority of rooms in construction in the region. In addition to the U.S., Mexico (14,763) and Brazil (7,680) have the highest number of rooms in construction in the region.
Theodore is the Co-Founder and Managing Editor of TravelDailyNews Media Network; his responsibilities include business development and planning for TravelDailyNews long-term opportunities.