India’s faith-based tourism, valued at over $1 billion in 2023, is set to expand rapidly, fueled by technology, infrastructure improvements, and social media influence.
According to Future Market Insights (FMI), the India faith-based tourism market size is estimated at US$ 1,025.57 million in 2023 at a CAGR of 16.2% from 2023 to 2033. Indian faith-based tourism market share in its parent market is about 6%-11%.
Digital India and New Technologies to Grow the Market
The Indian economy’s amazing success is the primary factor for boosting the Indian faith-based tourism market’s future trends. As a means of supporting faith-based tourism in India, the government has invested in transportation, lodging, better roads, health care, and hygiene.
The sector has invested in new technologies, such as the art of security systems, to promote the expansion of religious tourism. India is a really interesting nation with a lot to offer travellers. India’s rich culture, tradition, and history alone attract a large number of religious tourists each year.
Trends Shaping India Faith Faith-Based Tourism Market
Religious tourism is both contributing to and benefiting from the country’s overall growth in the travel and tourism sector. The dynamic India faith-based tourism market growth trend has been shaped by a growing middle class and rising disposable income.
Aside from Indian residents, the segment’s popularity among overseas Indians and foreigners has steadily increased over the years. With Yoga retreats and Ayurvedic spas gaining popularity among both domestic and foreign tourists, India faith based tourism market is taking on a spiritual and medical twist.
An Explosion of Online Social Media Contributing to the India Faith-Based Tourism
A large number of Indians use social media; approximately 508 million Indians use social media platforms. This allows the player to aggressively market their deals and packages on sites such as Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
An increase in the number of travel bloggers has impacted positively a surge of the India faith-based tourism adoption trends as well as the India faith-based tourism market opportunities.
Travel blogs have grown in popularity as a source of travel information. Bloggers share their travel experiences and are typically regarded as reliable sources of information. They shape readers’ attitudes and impressions of locations, influencing travel decisions.
Religion to Revive Opportunities for the India Faith-Based Tourism Market
- Tourism, transportation infrastructures, and technology employment have become of utmost importance with millions of pilgrims visiting Indian pilgrimage sites each year.
- Despite the fact that most religious centres in the country have short but intense seasons, this opportunity has arisen.
- Various traditions and cultural practises increase tourist footfall, putting a strain on transportation, city infrastructure, and site management.
Companies are focusing on product development as well as specialized categories driving demand, creating opportunities for package customization. Faith-based tourism is growing in popularity in South Asia, pushing the Indian tourist industry.
- On May 2023, a memorandum of understanding was signed in Guwahati to facilitate waterway connections between seven religious sites. It is proposed to provide a service that allows passengers to hop on and off boats. A link was created between the seven historic and religious sites located in and around the city of Guwahati. The Kamakhyas, Pandunaths, Aswaklantas, Umanandas, Chakreshwars, and Auniati Satras are some of them.
- On April 2023, the ‘Vande Bharat’ project will bring faith, technology, and tourism together. Various projects worth over Rs. 11,300 crores were also dedicated to the nation at Parade Ground in the state of Telangana by the prime minister.