Tokyo remains the most popular international destination and the second most booked spot for Thais, after Bangkok, still growing 26% compared to summer 2017.
BANGKOK – Agoda, the world’s fastest growing online travel agent (OTA), revealed the top trending summer travel spots for Thais in 2018.
Japan with its world-class cuisine, unparalleled shopping, spectacular scenery and visa exemption has long been a draw for Thai travelers and this year has grown even more popular, taking three of the top five international destinations, and three of the top 10 destinations for independent Thai travelers overall. Hokkaido’s capital, Sapporo, with its summer entertainment of – food, music and beer festivals – grew by 37%, and saw the mountainous hotspot become the eighth most popular destination for summer getaways, and edging out Koh Samet this year’s top 10.
Tokyo remains the most popular international destination and the second most booked spot for Thais, after Bangkok, still growing 26% compared to summer 2017. Similarly, Osaka is a perennial favorite in the top 10, growing 21 percent this year and maintaining its position as ninth most-booked summer destination for Thais.
Domestic locations also ranked well with five of the top 10 destinations continuing to grow in appeal for Thai travelers. The bustling metropolis of Bangkok is, unsurprisingly, the most booked destination for Thais, and showed a 25% increase in bookings from 2017. While Chiang Mai with its chilled-out vibe, cooler summers and stunning landscapes, moved from sixth to fifth most-booked summer destination, Thailand’s coastline and beaches also remain increasingly popular with Pattaya in third position, Hua Hin/ Cha-am in fourth and Phuket in sixth.
It isn’t just Thai travelers who are digging Bangkok, Agoda’s global summer survey found Bangkok is the number two destination within Asia Pacific this summer, and the number one Asia Pacific destination for UK travelers.
Thai summer travel facts:
- Bali saw the biggest leap in bookings among Thais, with 48% more in 2018 than 2017, leaping from 22nd to 14th most popular destination
- Bangkokians book Tokyo as their number one summer holiday destination
- Beach destinations appear to be growing in popularity, with Bali (48 %), Krabi (43%) and Pattaya (42%) showing the most year-on-year growth.
Top 10 destinations for Thai travelers in summer
- Destination 2017: Bangkok, Thailand | Destination 2018: Bangkok, Thailand
- Destination 2017: Tokyo, Japan | Destination 2018: Tokyo, Japan
- Destination 2017: Pattaya, Thailand | Destination 2018: Pattaya, Thailand
- Destination 2017: HuaHin/ Cha-am, Thailand | Destination 2018: HuaHin/ Cha-am, Thailand
- Destination 2017: Phuket, Thailand | Destination 2018: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Destination 2017: Chiang Mai, Thailand | Destination 2018: Phuket, Thailand
- Destination 2017: Singapore, Singapore | Destination 2018: Singapore, Singapore
- Destination 2017: Hong Kong, Hong Kong | Destination 2018: Sapporo, Japan
- Destination 2017: Osaka, Japan | Destination 2018: Osaka, Japan
- Destination 2017: Koh Samet, Thailand | Destination 2018: Hong Kong
Top Destinations in Asia Pacific Summer 2018
- Hong Kong
Tatiana is the news co-ordinator for TravelDailyNews Media Network (traveldailynews.gr, traveldailynews.com and traveldailynews.asia). Her role includes to monitor the hundrends of news sources of TravelDailyNews Media Network and skim the most important according to our strategy. She holds a Bachelor degree in Communication & Mass Media from Panteion University of Political & Social Studies of Athens and she has been editor and editor-in-chief in various economic magazines and newspapers.