The Post-80s and Post-90s Generation Become the Critical Driving Forces for Domestic Accommodation Bookings, So Meeting Their Demands are the Key; Among Major Platforms, Meituan Hotels Ranked No.1 by Room Nights in Q2 2018, Followed by Traditional OTA Ctrip.
BEIJING - According to the latest research from Trustdata's Mobile Big Data Monitoring service, China's online hotel reservation industry grew fast, with MAU reaching 91.09 million in the second quarter of 2018, a record high increase of 20.1% from the previous quarter since 2016.
The third- and lower-tier cities become a major growth driver, contributing 50% to the total online hotel bookings in June. Among 20 million new users in Q2 2018, the post-80s and post-90s generation are the main force, while the demand from the post-00s is growing.
- China's online hotel reservation industry has been growing continuously for the second quarter, supported by robust demands from the post-80s and post-90s generation of consumers in the third- and lower-tier cities.
- The proportion of hotel reservations made by locals exceeds 30% in Q2 2018, indicating that online hotel booking is gaining popularity among travelers as well as locals.
- Ctrip, Meituan Hotels, Qunar, Tongcheng-eLong and Fliggy were the key fast-growing platforms for the quarter.
- The Top 5 players accounted for 96.4% of the online hotel bookings in Q2 2018.
- The competitive landscape of online hotel booking becomes clear-cut, with traditional OTAs like Ctrip and super platforms like Meituan Hotels carving up the market.
Platforms Performance Insights:
- Meituan Hotels ranks No.1 by both order volume and room night in Q2 2018. It exceeded the combined room nights registered on Ctrip, Qunar and Tongcheng-eLong again, seizing 46.2% of the market share in Q2 2018.
- Fliggy ranks No.1 in terms of customer stickiness. Super platforms like Meituan Hotels and Fliggy are gaining popularity, thanks to the user bases of Meituan-Dianping and Taobao accumulated via such high-frequency services as food delivery and online shopping, respectively.
- Ctrip is a pioneer of OTA that is offering all travel-related services. It has the edges in high-starred hotels, but is challenged by Meituan Hotels and Fliggy. While the main users of Ctrip are the middle-aged with strong consumption capacity, users of Meituan Hotels and Fliggy are younger and have massive buying powers in the future.