Increased efforts are in line with the new, more sustainable and responsible, direction of Thai tourism.
Bangkok, Thailand – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is continuing with its mission to grow the Carbon Neutral Tourism sector in Thailan, in accordance with the Thai government’s Bio-Circular-Green or BCG Economy Model that is taking Thai tourism in a more sustainable and responsible direction.
Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, TAT Governor, said “In addition to helping to reduce negative impacts on the environment and society, this ‘carbon neutral tourism’ initiative also helps to add value, creativity, and competitiveness to Thai tourism products and services in the global market. It also increases Thailand’s appeal to quality tourists who are environmentally conscious, and who want to contribute to reducing economic, social and environmental impacts.”
TAT is using a concept of ‘adjust, reduce, compensate’ in business development and prototype tourism activities that are in line with Carbon Neutral Tourism.
Using tourism resources in a cost-effective manner for maximum benefits, TAT is working to build capacity, and develop and extend Carbon Neutral Tourism management in a way suited to tourism operators, which creates participation in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The focus is on turning normal business tourism activities into low-carbon tourism activities towards the goal of achieving tourism that reduces an environmental impact. Carbon credits can be provided for what impact is created, as well as a source to absorb greenhouse gases, to reduce the total impact to zero (none or virtually no greenhouse gas emissions).
TAT is promoting five pilot business units in three types of business – communities, farm stays, and smart farms. These are:
- Tham Suea Community in Phetchaburi Province promoting zero carbon tourism
- Rimklong Homestay Community in Samut Songkhram Province highlighting environmental-friendly, slow-life travel in coconut plantations
- Rai Jai Yim Farm Stay in Kanchanaburi Province featuring camping and farm activities
- Rai Khuean Rang Farm Stay in Nakhon Ratchasima Province focusing on zero carbon tourism and slow-life experience in mixed farming
- Thai Tawee Pomelo Garden in Nakhon Pathom Province a smart farm showcasing educational farm life experiences in a pilot smart organic farm