The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has undergone a major restructuring designed to significantly…
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has undergone a major restructuring designed to significantly improve the way it markets the multi-billion Baht Thai tourism industry, both domestic and international.
The restructuring is in line with the concept of creating an Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) organization that will deliver the right products to the right customer segments at the right time.
TAT Governor Mrs. Juthamas Siriwan said, It is becoming an increasingly competitive tourism industry worldwide, and we need to make sure that we are undertaking the right marketing activities in the right destinations to maintain our market share.
As we now have a Ministry of Tourism and Sports taking care of development and administrative issues, it is important to streamline the marketing structures of TAT to ensure that work is carried out speedily and cost-efficiently.
She said the restructuring will allow TAT to sustain regular campaigns and also respond quickly to sudden changes in economic and political conditions caused by external shocks.
There is widespread realization that the travel and tourism industry is very important to our national economy in terms of jobs and foreign exchange. The TAT marketing campaigns are critical to ensuring the health of this rapidly-growing industry.
Under the restructuring, TAT will be divided into five main departments:
- One department responsible for setting up the policies and marketing plans as well as supporting tourism product development efforts.
- Two departments responsible for implementing the marketing plans and presenting the products to the target markets, one each for international and domestic markets. This will implement the appropriate strategies and marketing support activities.
- One department responsible for advertising and public relations activities which will support the marketing campaigns and help build the image of the Thai tourism industry using all available media.
- One administration department, which already exists, responsible for the internal administration of the TAT.
The Thai Cabinet has acknowledged the proposal of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports about appointing the following officials to their new responsibilities. They are:
- Mrs. Phornsiri Manohan as Deputy Governor for International Marketing;
- Mrs. Juthaporn Rerngronasa, Deputy Governor for Domestic Marketing, in charge from October 1, 2003;
- Mr. Suraphon Svetasreni, Deputy Governor for Publicity and Public Relations;
- Mr. Santichai Eauchongprasit as the Deputy Governor for Tourism Products, and
- Ms. Pensuda Priaram as the Deputy Governor for Administration.
Mrs. Juthamas said, This new structure is designed to put the right person in the right job. It will also help better manage the workflow, improve productivity and management efficiency, thus also improving the quality of the campaigns that we carry out.
Every department will be required to support and cooperate with each other in order to ensure that adequate and accurate information is available to help TAT make the right decisions.
Theodore is the Co-Founder and Managing Editor of TravelDailyNews Media Network; his responsibilities include business development and planning for TravelDailyNews long-term opportunities.