77% of regular holiday home users find that holiday homes help families to bond on holiday.
Singapore – When it comes to spending quality time with their loved ones, most Singaporean families view family holidays as one of the best ways to strengthen bonds. According to a survey of 1,000 Singaporean family travellers commissioned by HomeAway, a leading online marketplace for holiday homes, 3 in 4 Singaporean families said that they saw overseas vacations as a chance to spend quality bonding time together, and amongst regular holiday home users, 77% felt that staying in holiday homes helps families to bond on their holiday.
Based on the survey findings, Singaporean families sought a sense of familiarity when booking their holiday accommodation. 75% of respondents will opt to book a holiday home over a regular hotel as these properties were able to accommodate the whole family under one roof, with 74% indicating they enjoyed the conveniences of being a home away from home citing amenities such as kitchen, laundry and outdoor space. “Simple things like access to hot water, or a kitchen to whip up a quick breakfast for the kids. Anything that we are used to at home, we need to have the same experience on holiday,” said Amber, a HomeAway user and mother of 2. This is also supported by 85% of respondents that said having meals together was their favourite bonding activity on holidays.
Price could also be a determining factor as 74% of respondents indicated they chose their accommodation options based on cost, and 59% deemed holiday homes as more affordable than hotels. “One of the key considerations for family travel is to be able to find holiday homes that can accommodate different family sizes. This is much more convenient and value-for-money than booking multiple hotel rooms,” Amber added.
Older respondents, in particular, were found to favour holiday homes. Respondents over the age of 55 indicated that the main reason they would book a holiday home is because the entire family could stay in the same property.
“Being a husband, son, and father to three children, I treasure the time I have with my family. Holidays are especially precious as we bond whilst having fun, and it is important that my family can wind down together at the end of a long day exploring a new country. Just like the 77% of regular holiday home users in Singapore, I enjoy having a home away from home whilst on a family vacation, as it gives us a comfortable environment where we can spend more time together playing games, in the pool, or even to prepare our own local meals,” said Anton Stanish, Vice President – APAC, HomeAway.
Summary of Key Findings
- 3 in 4 Singaporean families went on family vacations “to bond with my family”
- 77% of regular holiday home users believe that “holiday homes help families to bond on holiday”
- 65% saw family vacations as a good way “to spend time with my children”
- 75% of respondents will choose to book a holiday home as it has more space than hotel rooms, and can accommodate the entire family – big or small – in the same house with options for separate bedrooms
- 74% of respondents indicated that they liked the conveniences of a holiday home, citing amenities such as kitchen, laundry and outdoor space
- 74% of respondents indicated they chose their accommodation options based on cost, and 59% deemed holiday homes as more affordable than hotels
- Being “able to stay in the same house with my family” increases with age – with this being the top reason for those above 55
- 59% spend at least 10 hours in a holiday home hanging out – as compared to only 40% who spend more than 10 hours in a hotel